Monday, April 5, 2010

Oh What a Day It Has Been!

I just wanted a fun game. I already knew I was getting a Presidential first pitch, and Roy Halladay's start as a Phillie. For all the hype and talk this preseason, I just wanted a decent win. Little did I know I would get so much more.
Presidents, real (top) and fake (bottom).

For starters, Ryan Howard had quite the 2 run blast to put the Phillies on the board in the 4th. When he walked up to the plate with Utley on 1st, I turned to my friend and said "I have a good feeling about this at bat." Then he Howard proceeded to kill a baseball. I won't mention the other times today that I said I had good feelings and nothing happened. That was the only good feeling that I actually felt, clearly.

The Polanco grand slam was another fine moment. I seem to remember us signing him for his contact hitting abilities, not so much any hitting for power. Looks like he sure knows how to (re-)endear himself to a fan base.

Then there was Roy. Roy threw 7 innings. Roy gave up one run early in the game before settling down and mowing down the Nationals lineup. That mowing took the form of a solid 9 Ks over those 7 innings. Sure he gave up a run in the first inning, but in the end that almost seemed like he was toying with the Nats. He did a nice job of getting their hopes up before crushing them entirely. Not too shabby, Mr. Halladay.

Doc, the one and only.

Overall, this day was incredible. I got to the ball park early and got to see some of the pitchers not in today's game, including our once and future ace:

Cole Hamels, plotting his comeback.

After a day like today, I can't stop thinking about how much I love baseball and I love the Phillies. Starting the season on such a high note inevitably leaves us fans open to disappointment, but I'm not worrying about that right now. For now, I'm just glowing from this win (and literally from sunburn). Until Wednesday, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment